Friday, October 1, 2010

Success Story Profile: Patricia

Patricia's Story*


“My desire to live the American dream was reborn.”
– Patricia*, New Endeavors by Women resident

* The name of the author has been changed for privacy


My name is Patricia. I am a 49 year old recovering addict, and mother of three adult children. I am the youngest of eight siblings. During my childhood I loved going to school and learning new things, I had a zest for life.

As a child, I was raised by alcoholic parents. From age 9 until 13, I was sexually molested by my stepfather, so I’m also a survivor of molestation. I began to runaway from home, skip school and became what society calls “beyond control.” My mother killed my stepfather and was sent to prison for two years. I was put into the system and went to Cedar Knoll group home. I was also sent to live with different relatives. At age 15, I became pregnant with my first child. Not knowing anything about raising a child, I asked my grandmother to raise her. By the age of 18, I was pregnant with another child and I decided to try motherhood while living with my biological father. For a while, with the help of my father, it worked. I had a job at McDonalds and I returned to school and obtained my GED in 1981.

After getting my GED and taking Civil Service Exam, I began working for the Federal Government, where I stayed for five years. I started to live a good life, renting an apartment with my last child’s father, and living life as a productive member of society. I was happy, but it all shattered when the relationship started to crumble. I began using drugs at 26, and as a result of my continuous using, I resigned from the job. I lost the apartment and everything that was part of my good life. I began a vicious cycle of street life, selling and using drugs, homelessness, and incarceration.

I was arrested and convicted in 1991 for drug distribution, and I served a one to three year sentence with a one year parole. After completing the sentence, I continued a whirlwind of continuous using and selling drugs. My life was in a downward spiral until I was arrested again in 2002 for distribution, and was incarcerated for three months and ordered into a 28-day program with two years of probation. This was my first time in a drug treatment program. When I completed treatment, I went to live at my sister’s home. I was home for two weeks before I started using again and selling drugs. I was afraid of being incarcerated again because I was not in compliance with the probation, so I went on the run. Being on the run, I could no longer go to my sister’s house, so I lived on the streets. When I became homeless, my addiction became worse. I was convicted and sentenced to a 50 month prison term.

Looking at my life while incarcerated, which wasn’t a pretty picture, I began to realize that I wanted my life to be different when I returned to society. For an addict like me who always wanted to be in control of her life, who never admitted that I was an addict, it was hard to look at my life. But looking at myself made me realize that I no longer wanted to live like I was living before my third felony conviction. I no longer wanted to use drugs, I no longer wanted to sell drugs, and I no longer wanted to be incarcerated. My desire to live the American dream was reborn. I wanted my good life back again. So I prayed to God to help me change my life, and I began to take steps while incarcerated to do something to help myself when I returned to society.

Since I was released from prison in September 2007, my life has been blessed. I allowed God to guide me through everything, and He placed people in my life while I was in a halfway house for four months. My case worker there contacted New Endeavors by Women (NEW) and I was given the opportunity to come to NEW when I was released from federal custody on January 20, 2008.

Since being at NEW, I have reunited with my children, I have become employable, and I have obtained my Food Handler’s certification. I completed a nine-month Aftercare program at CATAADA House, which is a requirement for NEW residents. I completed the Project Empowerment Program and obtained permanent employment. I am learning about saving money and balancing a checkbook. I have twice been given certificates of recognition at NEW for being a Model Resident, twice I was one of “The Women of the Month,” and I have been awarded various other certificates of recognition. I am learning and relearning so many different things here at NEW. I have so much appreciation for the staff at NEW and all the wonderful people God has placed in my life. I am a productive member of society, and for me that in itself is a miracle. Today my life is good.