Thursday, September 30, 2010

Success Story Profile: Alicia


Alicia's Story

New Endeavors by Women (NEW) really taught me to budget, to save for tomorrow. I learned to take my time, to understand that it is not necessary to have everything at one time. I discovered that I didn’t need to be in a rush to have the latest hairdo, the newest fashions. I know now that I have to keep my your focus, and concentrate on what I need to achieve my next goal. I am still learning.

Participating in NEW’s Shelter Plus Care program, really helped me keep the strength to work toward my goals. I had to learn to save, to put money away. I was able to pay off my debts and get a high credit rating. I have learned not to buy something – even if it is on sale – if I have to use a credit card to pay for it. It takes time and money to get started, and the positive environment at NEW gave me the chance to get to where I needed to be.

I knew I wanted to be a part of my kids’ lives, and NEW helped me do that. I was able to buy a house with my older daughter, and the Shelter Plus Care program helped us with a bed, linens, and towels to get started in our new life.
Now I am learning how to enjoy a house. I have lots of ideas, but I am taking my time. I found that I didn’t need two phones – I just use a cell phone. I am slowly learning how to use my new pots and pans in a ceramic stove. I’m even learning how to use the self-cleaning oven! My next step is to learn how to use a weed whacker to get my yard in shape.
I’m involved in church, trying to decide what committee to be on. I like having the chance to help other people, to feed the hungry – even doing simple things like washing dishes.

NEW helped me to have a different kind of outlook. Who do I want to be? People might look at me and say “she needs a new haircut,” but I’ve learned that doesn’t matter so much. The important thing is: “Do I have a good personality?” My time at NEW helped me to see that the extra stuff is nice, but who I am and what my goals are is more important.